WHAT DO THESE PRODUCTS ALL HAVE IN COMMON?
- Most of the coaches and cushions we use today (exception being leather, cotton, or down filled)
- Plastic baby bottles
- Baby diapers (Huggies, Pampers etc.)
- Children’s toys (all except the ones made of wood)
- Baby blankets
- Stuffed Animals mainly sold for children
- The fragrance used in any skin care products or perfume (even the high end ones)
- Most lotions sold at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and Department Stores
- Your carpet
- The fertilizer used in non organic crops
- Plastic bottles and plastic bags
- Crayons, markers and most art supplies
ANSWER: You guessed it! They are all made from P -E- T- R- O- L- E- U- M
Note: The list above is but a very small sample of the thousands of products we are surrounded by, which are made of Petroleum.
We are literally swimming in Petroleum based products. Most people think of Petroleum and they think GAS or FUEL for transportation. The word might also bring up sad images of Oil Spills or broken Pipelines. About 2 years ago I had a huge awakening to the fact that about 98% of the physical products we use today are made of PETROLEUM.
We have become so used to being surrounded by products made of Petroleum that we don’t even think twice about it.
Why should this be of concern?
Well, as we have seen recently, building large scale pipelines (such as the one South Dakota) can have catastrophic and irreversible effects on our environment and on the local communities surrounding them. Not to mention some of the most horrific oils spills that have already devastated our oceans and marine life.
What we need to remember is that we are creating the demand for Petroleum or Oil. As long as we continue to purchase Petroleum based products the demand will remain high and the pipelines will continue to be built.
We the people do have the power. So, what can YOU do about it right NOW???
- WHEN BUYING FABRIC BASED ITEMS: Make a conscious effort to buy products that are NOT made a Petroleum. You must ask what the material is made of. Beware most people selling the products don’t even know, so you might have to google it to confirm. Polyester, Nylon, and Acrylic are all made of Petroleum.
- WHEN BUYING FOOD : Buy food that is not contained in PLASTIC. Bring your own produce bags and do not buy chopped up fruit in plastic, chop your own! Choose glass whenever possible, even if you have to pay more, you are investing in our planet and in your future.
- WHEN BUYING PERSONAL CARE ITEMS: Ditch the vaseline and always look at the ingredients. If they contain a list of chemicals you can’t pronounce, don’t buy it. Remember most scents and fragrances added to skincare lotions and soaps are made of PETROLEUM. Buy as close to nature as you can by only purchasing items made with essential items.
I truly believe we can change the world through conscious consumerism, and the first step in becoming a conscious consumers is awareness.
In peace, love, and gratitude ♥
Theresa Tenerelli- Laurence